Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Dust If You Must


I hate housework, but it does get done as I see fit. I am most definitely not houseproud, much to the horror of my mother-in-law. However, I do enjoy and love my home when I have cleaned it thoroughly and can sit back and relax with a nice shiny bathroom or kitchen or which ever room. Living with a 4 year old who leaves a trail of toys and mess in his wake at every turn, easily creates chaos in the tidiest of homes in record time.  Yes, I could chase him and clean up, or make sure he does, but really and truthfully, I can't be bothered. I would much rather have fun making mess with him, or find peace reading quietly on a bit of the couch that is clear. I have been told that once he is in bed, I should scoot round and clear everything away "it only takes 5 minutes". But night-time is my time. Its time to sit my backside down and watch some tv, or blog, or read, or pin or work on my latest project.  I just find life far more interesting and busy to be constantly dusting and cleaning.  That said, should anyone be coming round to visit, the place will shine like a new penny.  Just give me warning and not show up unexpectedly.
If I am feeling stressed or have something pressing on my mind, I can clean like a demon, I actually find it quite therapeutic Just the day to day " quick wipe round of the bathroom daily" is not up there on my list of priorities.
Also, my home is a reflection of our personalities - its busy, chaotic and colourful. It is certainly not minimalist.  I love the feeling and character of clutter and stuff.  Who was it who once said : If a cluttered desk means a cluttered mind, what does an empty desk mean? Besides, a creative home cannot be a tidy home. Not really.
My home has too much personality to keep up with the dusting.  I don't do footery and gittery, except until it starts to annoy me.  I prefer to think of our dust as Laren Stover puts it : House Moss or Beggars velvet.

I came across this poem a few months ago and absolutely love it.  It never fails to make me smile.

Dust if you must, by Rose Mulligan

Dust if you must, but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture, or write a letter,
Bake a cake, or plant a seed;
Ponder the difference between want and need.

Dust if you must, but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim, and mountains to climb;
Music to hear, and books to read;
Friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must, but the world's out there,
With the sun in your eyes and the wind in your hair;
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain,
 This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must, but bear in mind, 
Old age will come and it's not kind.
And when you go (and go you must)
You, yourself, will make more dust.


x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome x